New Cat Owners
It is an exciting time when you decide to introduce a new cat to your family! It is important to take steps to be prepared to best care for your new furry companion.
Must have cat supplies:
- Carry cage/cat carrier
- Food and water bowls
- Litter tray(s) and litter
- Scratching post
- Comfy bed
- Grooming tools
- An appointment for vaccinations, worming, desexing and microchipping (as required)
Responsible cat ownership
Responsible cat ownership involves the following:
- Vaccinating your cat.
- Regular flea and worm treatments.
- Regular grooming.
- Registering your cat with the local council (if over 3 months old).
- Desexing your cat unless you are a registered breeder.
- Managing your cat to reduce the risk to wildlife.
- Recognising if your cat has a medical or behavioural problem and taking steps to have the problem addressed.
- You are also legally required to keep your cat on your property at all times (with a collar and council tag when outside) and inside between dusk and dawn.
- The annual Council registration of your cat is due on the 10 April each year in Melbourne.
Please make sure to update any changes in phone numbers or addresses with both your local council and your pet’s microchip registration agency.